Natural Abundance Food Coop's goal is to create positive change in the region by influencing the production, distribution and enjoyment of food. It is our goal to offer members and shoppers information and a choice of products that promotes personal, economic and environmental health and sustainability. We will act as a buying agent for our members, not a selling agent for manufacturers.
The Buyers at Natural Abundance are approached by many companies to sell their products in our store. Our Buyers must determine what products should or should not be carried by our store. This product policy will guide them in making buying decisions and helps to inform consumers about what they can expect from our products.
First and foremost, our products will be natural--containing no artificial flavors, artificial colors, artificial preservatives, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils.
We give strong preference to products that are:
- Locally produced
- Certified organic
- Produced utilizing practices that support environmentally sustainable agriculture
- Fair Trade certified
- Free of growth hormones, antibiotics, and/or genetically modified organisms
- Raised using sound animal husbandry and humane practices
- Fairly priced, offering our members value for their money
- Packaged minimally and/or with materials that are manufactured and disposed of in an environmentally sound manner
- Produced and distributed by vendors who meet city and state civil rights policies and run their businesses ethically
- Produced or distributed by cooperatively owned vendors
- Produced by manufacturers who do not utilize animal testing
- Help meet the needs of people on specialty diets, such as products that are wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, etc..
- Available for purchase on the WIC program
- Desired by our members and shoppers